Ferries from 3325 routes and 764 ports worldwide
Trusted by over 2.5 million customers
We arrange over 1.2 million ferry crossings / year
We check up to 1 million prices for our customers daily
The Greek island of Lipsi, also sometimes called Leipsoi, is part of the Dodecanese group of islands. It is located close to the island of Patmos and the island of Leros, and lies to the south of the island of Samos and to the north of the island of Leros. The island can trace its history back to prehistoric times, however, the more modern settlements of the island were founded by a Cretan called Ilias in 1669. The island has a large area that extends to around 16 sq. km, with a coastline of 35 km and around 700 inhabitants, and was officially united with Greece in 1948.
There are a number of things to see and do on the island including the lovely church of Aghios Ioannis, Theologos which is located next to the square of the Town Hall and the Museum. Located within the church there is an icon of Panaghia the Mavri (the Black Madonna) which dates back to 1500. Also on the island is the Ecclesiastical Folklore Museum which contains some ecclesiastical relics and a small archaeological collection. Situated around 1.5 km from Lipsi Town is the Panaghia of Horos which is the only icon in Greece where the Virgin Mary is depicted holding a crucified Jesus in her arms, instead of the infant Jesus which is usually depicted. Both the monastery and the icon date back to around 1600.
Lipsi is well serviced with ferries passing between Patmos and Leros and on the main route for ferries from Piraeus.
The Greek island of Tilos is one of the Dodecanese group of islands and lies in the Aegean Sea. Unlike some of its neighbours, Tilos is a quiet island with few residents which as a result has managed to retain its original Greek atmosphere and charm. Those that do live on the island largely live off fishing, some agriculture and the little tourism that does exist. A popular site on the island is the beautiful but abandoned 15th century monastery of Agios Panteleimon, which contains some interesting icons. Also of interest is the Castle of the Knights, where the Knights of St. John were based in the 15th century. Also on the island are a number of other churches including perhaps the best known Church of the Archangel Michael which is in Megalo Chorio. Other popular sites on the island are the Park of Tilos, with its many species of flora and fauna, and the Cave of Charkadio where visitors can see the remains of the dwarf elephants that lived on the island some 45,000 years ago. The fossilised bones where first discovered in the 1970's.