Ferries from 3325 routes and 764 ports worldwide
Trusted by over 2.5 million customers
We arrange over 1.2 million ferry crossings / year
We check up to 1 million prices for our customers daily
The Greek island of Lipsi, also sometimes called Leipsoi, is part of the Dodecanese group of islands. It is located close to the island of Patmos and the island of Leros, and lies to the south of the island of Samos and to the north of the island of Leros. The island can trace its history back to prehistoric times, however, the more modern settlements of the island were founded by a Cretan called Ilias in 1669. The island has a large area that extends to around 16 sq. km, with a coastline of 35 km and around 700 inhabitants, and was officially united with Greece in 1948.
There are a number of things to see and do on the island including the lovely church of Aghios Ioannis, Theologos which is located next to the square of the Town Hall and the Museum. Located within the church there is an icon of Panaghia the Mavri (the Black Madonna) which dates back to 1500. Also on the island is the Ecclesiastical Folklore Museum which contains some ecclesiastical relics and a small archaeological collection. Situated around 1.5 km from Lipsi Town is the Panaghia of Horos which is the only icon in Greece where the Virgin Mary is depicted holding a crucified Jesus in her arms, instead of the infant Jesus which is usually depicted. Both the monastery and the icon date back to around 1600.
Lipsi is well serviced with ferries passing between Patmos and Leros and on the main route for ferries from Piraeus.