Ferries from 3325 routes and 764 ports worldwide
Trusted by over 2.5 million customers
We arrange over 1.2 million ferry crossings / year
We check up to 1 million prices for our customers daily
The port town of Sita is located on the Greek island of Crete which lies in the Aegean Sea. On the island, Sita is to the east of Agios Nikolaos and to the north east of Lerapetra. The town is generally not much visited by tourists and is not particularly well developed and can trace its history back to Minoan times. Excavations have been unearthed in the neighbouring site of Petras which date back to the end of the Neolithic period, 3,000 BC through to the Bronze Age, 3,000 - 1,050 BC. In support of the Petras findings, excavations at other archaeological sites on the island, such as Itanos and Mochlos, have found artefacts from Minoan times. Petras has, over its history, also been under the control of the Venetians who used it as a base for their eastern Mediterranean operations. The site was destroyed by an earthquake in 1508, and again by pirates in 1538 and by the Venetians in 1651.
The port at Sitia connects Sitia and eastern Crete with several other Greek islands as well as with the port of Piraeus on the Greek mainland. The town also has a marina which accommodates smaller fishing boats and yachts.
The Greek island of Chalki lies in the Aegean Sea and forms part of the Dodecanese group of islands. It is situated around 6 km to the west of the island of Rhodes and is the smallest inhabited island of the Dodecanese with a surface area of 28 sq. km and a coastline of around 34 km. The island's name is derived from the copper mines that used to exist on the island (Chalkos is Greek for copper). The island's economy was doing well at the end of 19th century, when Chalkites, the island's residents, developed navigation and a lucrative sponge industry. Chalki followed the historic course of Rhodes and was officially united with Greece in 1948. The world's youth nominated the island as the "Island of Peach and Friendship" in 1983.
The port, where the ferries arrive, is called Nimborio and is the only village on the island of any size. The port is shaped like a horseshoe around the bay.