The Vulcano Milazzo ferry route connects Aeolian Islands with Sicily and is currently operated by 2 ferry companies. The Liberty Lines service runs up to 16 times per day with a sailing duration of around 45 minutes while the Siremar service runs up to 4 times per day with a duration from 1 hr 25 min.
So that’s a combined 20 sailings on offer per day on the Vulcano Milazzo route between Aeolian Islands and Sicily. Compare now and get the best fare at the time that you want to travel.
Prices shown represent the average one way price paid by our customers. The most common booking on the Vulcano Milazzo route is a car and 1 passenger.
The small Italian volcanic island of Vulcano lies in the Tyrrhenian Sea and is around 25 km to the north of Sicily, and is the most southerly of the eight islands that make up the Aeolian Islands. The island is only around 21 sq. km and its highest point is just under 500 m above sea level. There are a number of volcanos on the island, and includes one of four active, non-submarine, volcanoes in Italy. The most recent volcanic activity is the Gran Cratere at the top of the Fossa cone, the cone having grown in the Lentia Caldera in the middle of the island, and has had at least 9 major eruptions in the last 6,000 years. However, the island's volcanoes have been quiet since around 1890 when Fossa erupted and deposited around 5 meters of pyroclastic material on the summit. The island is also famous for its hot springs which are located a short walk from the harbour. For the brave, visitors are able to walk to the crater of a volcano where you can observe smoke coming out of the ground!
Hydrofoil and ferry services connect Vulcano to the other Aeolian Islands and to Sicily and the mainland. Access from Milazzo in Sicily is convenient, as Vulcano is the boat's first stop from there as they continue to the other islands.
The Italian town of Milazzo lies on the north east coast of Sicily, to the west of the city of Messina, and is known for its historic village and lovely beaches. There is a fortified citadel and medieval quarters located in the Old Town where many religious buildings can also be found. A popular attraction in the Old Town is the Shrine of St. Francesco di Paola which dates back to the 18th century and was constructed on the site of a former church that dated back to the 15th century. The Shrine's facade has a curvilinear staircase with windows and galleries above the doorway. Inside the Shrine is the Chapel of Jesus and Mary where there is an altar that is decorated with carved and gilded wood and at the centre of which is the 'Madonna and Child' painted by Domenico Gagini (1420-1492).
The newer parts of Milazzo are in the lower town and is largely of 18th century construction. The lower town's centre is the Piazza Caio Duillo, which has to its west the Palazzo Marchese Proto and the facade of the Chiesa del Carmine to the east.