Strömstad is a town in Västra Götaland County, in western Sweden. The town is located close to the Norwegian border at the estuary of the small Strömstad River.
Originally, the province Bohuslän, where Strömstad is situated, belonged to Norway until 1658, when Sweden took it through warfare. At Strömstad, there was a small fishing village known as Strömmen. The town got small privileges as a merchant town (köping) shortly thereafter, which seems to have made it expand, because it is documented to have gotten a charter in 1676 by King Charles IX of Sweden, yet some documents show it was considered a city in 1672. As it was the seat for a merchant navy, the coat of arms was designed with such a ship, and has remained that way even after the sailing ships navy were discontinued in the 19th century. The city became the seat for Sweden's warfare.
Sandefjord is a town and municipality in the county of Vestfold in south Norway. From 1850, a number of ships from were whaling and sealing in the Arctic Ocean and along the coast of Finnmark. The first whaling expedition to the Antarctic Ocean was sent in 1905. Towards the end of the 1920's, Sandefjord had a fleet of 15 factory ships and more than 90 whalers. In 1954, more than 2,800 men from the district were hired as crew on the whalers, but from the mid 1950's whaling was gradually reduced. The number of southbound expeditions rapidly decreased during the 1960's, and the 1967/68 season became the last. The shipping industry was gradually readjusted from whaling to other ship types during this period. Sandefjord was formerly a famous health resort, with various kinds of baths for health improvement. Amongst these were salt water sea, mud & sulfur baths. Visitors included royalty, and a prime minister.