Rosyth (pronounced Ross-sythe) (Scottish Gaelic: Ros Saoithe) is located on the Firth of Forth on Scotland's east coast, a mile (1.6 km) south of Dunfermline, Fife, and approximately 12 miles (19 km) north west of Edinburgh. The area is best known for its large dockyard, formerly the Royal Naval Dockyard Rosyth, construction of which began in 1909. The town was planned as a 'garden city' with accommodation for the construction workers and dockyard workers. Today, the dockyard is almost 1,300 acres (5 km²) in size, a large proportion of which was reclaimed during construction. Rosyth's dockyards became the very first in the Royal Navy to be privatised when a company acquired the site in 1997. The privatisation followed almost a century of contribution to the defence of the United Kingdom which spanned two World Wars and the Cold War with Russia (during which Rosyth became a key nuclear submarine maintenance establishment).